Re: Thoughts on pg_hba.conf rejection - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Thoughts on pg_hba.conf rejection
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas escribió:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > Robert Haas escribió:

> >> Would it be possible to set up a skeleton environment where we can
> >> access shared catalogs only and then decide on which database we're
> >> using later?
> >
> > Eh?  We already do that ... In fact the autovac launcher is always
> > connected to shared catalogs, without being connected to any one
> > database in particular (cf. get_database_list)
>
> Oh.  Then I'm confused.  Tom said: "as of 9.0, it's necessary to
> connect to some database in order to proceed with auth checking".  Why
> is that necessary,  if we can access shared catalogs without it?

Hmm, yeah, why did he say that?  Maybe the order of operations during
startup is such that we only do auth checking after connecting to a
database for some reason.

Whatever it is, I don't think a badly worded error message is enough
grounds for fooling with this at this time of release process, though.
To be discussed for 9.1?