Re: Unicode problems on IRC

From: Andrew - Supernews
Subject: Re: Unicode problems on IRC
Date: ,
List: pgsql-hackers

Tree view

Unicode problems on IRC  (Christopher Kings-Lynne, )
 Re: Unicode problems on IRC  (Bruce Momjian, )
 Re: Unicode problems on IRC  (Andrew - Supernews, )
 Re: Unicode problems on IRC  ("John Hansen", )
  Re: Unicode problems on IRC  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Unicode problems on IRC  (Bruce Momjian, )
  Re: Unicode problems on IRC  (Andrew - Supernews, )
   Re: Unicode problems on IRC  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Unicode problems on IRC  (Oliver Jowett, )

On 2005-04-09, Bruce Momjian <> wrote:
> Uh, I thought we fixed this another way, buy not using Unicode-aware
> functions for upper/lower/initcap when the locale is "C" or "POSIX".
> That is backpatched to 8.0.X.  Does that not fix the problem reported?

Unicode values over 0xFFFF are simply not accepted on input, so no, it
doesn't fix the problem. What do upper/lower/initcap have to do with it?

textin() unconditionally calls pg_verifymbstr, which in turn explicitly
checks for such values (if the encoding is UTF8) and throws ERROR if it
finds them.

--
Andrew, Supernews