Re: Unicode problems on IRC

From: Bruce Momjian
Subject: Re: Unicode problems on IRC
Date: ,
List: pgsql-hackers

Tree view

Unicode problems on IRC  (Christopher Kings-Lynne, )
 Re: Unicode problems on IRC  (Bruce Momjian, )
 Re: Unicode problems on IRC  (Andrew - Supernews, )
 Re: Unicode problems on IRC  ("John Hansen", )
  Re: Unicode problems on IRC  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Unicode problems on IRC  (Bruce Momjian, )
  Re: Unicode problems on IRC  (Andrew - Supernews, )
   Re: Unicode problems on IRC  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Unicode problems on IRC  (Oliver Jowett, )

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> The 'Unicode characters above 0x10000' issue keeps rearing its ugly head
> in the IRC channel.  I propose that it be fixed, even backported...
>
> This is John Hansen's most recent patch to fix it:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2004-11/msg00259.php
>
> And from what I can tell it was committed, then reverted because it
> wasn't a "bug".  It was going to go in for 8.1.
>
> We on the channel are starting to think that it is in fact a bug.  There
> are are people with legitimately utf-8 encoded XML documents that they
> cannot store in PostgreSQL.  Apparently in the distant past, Unicode was
> limited to 0x10000, but then was extended.
>
> Perhaps we can reopen this case...

Uh, I thought we fixed this another way, buy not using Unicode-aware
functions for upper/lower/initcap when the locale is "C" or "POSIX".
That is backpatched to 8.0.X.  Does that not fix the problem reported?

--  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us                |  (610)
Pennsylvania19073