Why does app fail? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Simpson
Subject Why does app fail?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Like many here, I am fairly new to PostgreSQL having been forced to cut my teeth on M$ SQLServer. My apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question, please advise if so!

We use a third party application to manage our student population. Part of the reason we purchased it is that it allegedly will run against "Any ODBC-Compliant back-end database". As I mentioned above, for various reasons we used the M$ product, but now want to move away and PostgreSQL on Linux is the obvious choice.

My problem is that the app won't initialise against PostgreSQL. I have contacted the vendor who simply says they don't support PostgreSQL. They only support M£ SQLServer, M$Access, Oracle and Ingres. No help from them!

I suspect the issue is with data types. I have already created a domain to map DATETIME to TIMESTAMP but I haven't got much further. Unfortunately, with nearly 700 tables, scanning them all isn't an option!

I have two possible solutions which I'd like advice on (which is better and / or how to do each).

1) If there is a log somewhere showing failed requests, I might be able to see what the application is trying to do and then figure out a way around it.

2) Is there a way I can configure PostgreSQL (probably temporarily!) to just look like M$ or one of the other supported systems?

I should mention that I am in the process of developing a new Web-Based front end to the database with the long-term aim of ditching the current application.

Any help would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Paul Simpson