Re: selecting recs based on a tmp tbl vals that are wildcarded ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Harald Fuchs
Subject Re: selecting recs based on a tmp tbl vals that are wildcarded ?
Date
List pgsql-general
In article <482E80323A35A54498B8B70FF2B8798003E5AC7099@azsmsx504.amr.corp.intel.com>,
"Gauthier, Dave" <dave.gauthier@intel.com> writes:

> I have a temp table containg wildcarded strings and I want to select values
> froma different table using ?like? against all those wildcarded values.  Here?s
> the example...

> create temporary table match_these (val varchar(32));

> insert into match_these (val) values (?jo%?);

> insert into match_these (val) values (?%denn_?);

> insert into match_these (val) values (?alt%?);

> create table footable (name varchar(32));

> (insert a bunch of records)

> Now...

> select * from footable where name in (select val from match_these)

> ... won?t work because ?in? implies equality.  I want something like...

> select * from footable where name like (select val from match_these)

Why don't you use a simple join?  Something like

  SELECT f.name
  FROM footable f
  JOIN match_these m ON f.name ~~ m.val