selecting recs based on a tmp tbl vals that are wildcarded ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gauthier, Dave
Subject selecting recs based on a tmp tbl vals that are wildcarded ?
Date
List pgsql-general

I have a temp table containg wildcarded strings and I want to select values froma different table using “like” against all those wildcarded values.  Here’s the example...

create temporary table match_these (val varchar(32));

insert into match_these (val) values (‘jo%’);

insert into match_these (val) values (‘%denn_’);

insert into match_these (val) values (‘alt%’);

create table footable (name varchar(32));

(insert a bunch of records)

Now...

select * from footable where name in (select val from match_these)

... won’t work because “in” implies equality.  I want something like...

select * from footable where name like (select val from match_these)

... but that doesn’t work because the subquery returns more than one row :-(

Any elegant sql solutions out there before I brute-force a solution ?

Thanks in Advance !