Postgres 11 beta - no JITing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Postgres 11 beta - no JITing
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I am trying to assess the benefits of the new JIT feature in Postgres 11. However I can't figure out how to enable it.

I have a test server with "CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804"

I installed the beta using:

  yum install
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/11/redhat/rhel-7.4-x86_64/postgresql11-server-11.0-beta1_1PGDG.rhel7.x86_64.rpm
  yum install postgresql11
  yum install postgresql11-server

Then initdb and everything was up and running.

I checked the installation:

  "show jit_provider" gives me: "llvmjit"
  "show jit" gives me: "on"

pg_config reports that the beta was built with LLVM support.

I see --with-llvm in the output as well as 'LLVM_CONFIG=/usr/lib64/llvm5.0/bin/llvm-config'

But on my system there is no /usr/lib64/llvm5.0

So I ran "yum install llvm" which gave me: "llvm-libs-3.4.2-8.el7.x86_64" and "llvm-3.4.2-8.el7.x86_64" but still no
/usr/lib64/llvm5.0)
And installing clang, gave me: clang.x86_64 3.4.2-8.el7

The cost of my test query is around 250000 - so even with the default configuration I would expect JITing to jump in.

As it didn't happen, I set jit_optimize_above_cost and jit_above_cost to 10, just to see what happens - still no
JITing

I have uploaded one sample plan: https://explain.depesz.com/s/aVj2

Is there anything I need to install or enable in addition to what I have described?

I am not really experienced with managing a Linux system, so if I did some blatantly wrong things, please bare with me
;)

Thanks
Thomas