Restore live backup from posgtres/data/base/* gives PHPPGADMIN errors, works fine otherwise - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jo Voordeckers
Subject Restore live backup from posgtres/data/base/* gives PHPPGADMIN errors, works fine otherwise
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi there fellow admins,

One of our databases had to be restored from a backup tape. Since there
weren't any dumps made. All I had was a live backup (I know I know) of
/var/lib/postgres/data/base/<number>. The number for the corresponding
database I manages to discover after some searching with strings and grep.
First of all: isn't there an easy way or a file to look up the number
for the corresponding databases??

Second question... what could have gone wrong while restoring just the
corresponding directory for the database? In the log files I only found
out that the database wasn't shut down properly (when I started
postgres again after the restore) which I assume is correct because it was
restored from a live system backup. One CLOG file turned up to be missing,
however no database-transactions are used in this database application.
Recovery was done and successful by postmaster. The database is now up and
running. The website running from the content works fine again. All
records including BLOBS are there as well. In PSQL no strange warnings or
errors...

HOWEVER.... when I browse the DB with PHPPGADMIN (version 2.4.1-2) I get
all kinds of resultset errors.

For example: "Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid PostgreSQL result
resource in /usr/share/phppgadmin/db_details.php on line 344"

And this is ONLY for tables from the restored DB, the
other (non-restored) DB's give no PHPPGADMIN DB-errors.

Has anyone a clue what could be wrong. Or are there tools I can run to do
more consistency checks / rebuilds / whatever.

Postgres version: 7.2.1-2woody4

Thanks in advance!!

--
Kind regards,