Re: Postgres performance - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From PFC
Subject Re: Postgres performance
Date
Re: Postgres performance  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
List pgsql-sql
> The reason PostgreSQL is slower is because it (and by extension the team
> behind it) cares about your data.
Sure, postgres is (a bit but not much) slower for a simple query like
SELECT * FROM one table WHERE id=some number, and postgres is a lot slower
for UPDATES (although I heard that it's faster than MySQL InnoDB)... but
try a query with a join on few tables, even a simple one, and postgres
will outperform mysql, sometimes by 2x, sometimes 1000 times. I had a case
with a join between 4 tables, two of them having 50k records ; I was only
pulling 6 records... mysql spent half a second and postgres 0.5 ms... hell
!