Re: Postgres performance - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Postgres performance
Date
List pgsql-sql
This sort of discussion should really go onto -performance, but I'm
at pains to stomp out a common misperception.

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 10:45:38PM +0100, PFC wrote:

>     Sure, postgres is (a bit but not much) slower for a simple
>     query like SELECT * FROM one table WHERE id=some number, and

This is true _only if_ nobody else is writing at the same time you
are.  That is, for single-user or read-only databases, MySQL appears
to have a really significant advantage when using the standard MyISAM
table type.  The problem with that table type is that it requires the
_whole table_ be locked during write operations.

In any case, for any sort of real database work, nobody sane would
use anything except the InnoDB table type.  That's a more reasonable
fruit-comparison than MySQL using MyISAM.  In the latter case, you
may as well compare PostgreSQL to flat file writing.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.    --Alexander Hamilton