Re: [GENERAL] Migration Query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Migration Query
Date
List pgsql-general
PAWAN SHARMA schrieb am 08.05.2017 um 17:13:
> Does one any having list of bottlenecks and workarounds while migrating data
> from Oracle to Postgresql. like what are thing which we can migrate from Oracle database to Postgresql and what we
can't?

One thing I have seen regularly is the wrong translation of Oracle's NUMBER data type to the corresponding Postgres
type.

e.g. NUMBER(22) is very often translated to a numeric in Postgres but it should be translated to integer or bigint.

numeric is slightly slower and takes more space then integer or bigint.

You also need to think about how you used the DATE data type in Oracle.
If you rely on the time part, you have to translate that into a TIMESTMAP in Postgres.

Thomas