Documentation bug / oversight - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Documentation bug / oversight
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
The Postgres JDBC documentation regarding the use of setBinaryStream() for bytea columns states[1]:

   The length parameter to setBinaryStream must be correct. There is no way to indicate that the stream is of unknown
length.
   If you are in this situation, you must read the stream yourself into temporary storage and determine the length.

I think this is no longer correct. Build 1200 introduced the ability to do just that[2]:

  * Support for setBinaryStream with unknown length https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/220

My tests have shown that setBinaryStream(int, InputStream) indeed works just fine (as expected from the release notes)

Regards
Thomas

[1] https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/94/binary-data.html#binary-data-example
[2] https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/changelog.html#version_9.4-1200