Re: OSDB.org - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: OSDB.org
Date
Re: OSDB.org
List pgsql-advocacy
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when chriskl@familyhealth.com.au (Christopher Kings-Lynne) would write:
> Anyone seen the new looking OSDB.org?
>
> http://www.osdb.org/

Interesting; it points at Backplane (<http://backplane.com/>), which
is one I had not previously heard of.  It sounds rather like the
recent "clustering" version of PostgreSQL.

Their licensing policy seems to be derivative of that of MySQL:

  "Our software can be used freely, up to a point, in commercial
   settings."

With the line:

  "To anyone in doubt, we recommend the commercial licence. It really
   can't be wrong."

That is pretty sure to limit interest in it.  If you might imagine
using it for "commercial purposes," you might better consider
something more popular like Oracle or DB/2.

That being said, the design sounds interesting; quite different from
any of the other SQL databases I have seen.  The whole thing is based
on a replication/synchronization scheme, and watching for issues of
deadlock under conditions of particularly heavy load is likely the
grand challenge.
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/sap.html