Re: Printable report generation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Printable report generation
Date
List pgsql-general
SMJ <meebus@stark.51glen> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently in the progress of setting up a databasing system for a
> sales company, using a pure Linux / Postgresql solution.  I've
> traditionally used MS Access 97 for the setup of similar systems, and have
> yet to work out one problem -
>
> What is a viable way to generate printable 'reports', in a similar fashion
> provided by MS Access?

I don't know if there is a ny kind of GUI report generating tool for
Linux/PG.  There might be.

> For example, say I've got a postgresql database of client information
> (names, addresses, etc.), and I want to use this information to generate
> envelopes for mailouts.  As far as my understanding goes, such
> functionality is not provided by postgresql itself.

Yes, Access is a frontend/backend combo (and can actually connect to
multiple brands of backend via ODBC) whereas PG is a pure backend.
Reporting is a frontend function.

> Any help would be appreciated.

I'd personally do reporting by writing Perl scripts (generating either
text or HTML), but that might not suit you.

If a Windows box is allowable in the mix, you could set up either
Crystal Reports or Access with the PG ODBC driver and do reports etc
that way.

-Doug
--
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
http://www.freesklyarov.org/

We will return to our regularly scheduled signature shortly.