Re: Re: Lock up on 7.0.2 involving CREATE FUNCTION/INDEX.. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From kumar1@home.com (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Subject Re: Re: Lock up on 7.0.2 involving CREATE FUNCTION/INDEX..
Date
List pgsql-general
Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com> writes:

> Philip Hallstrom wrote:
> >
> > Is there another function that will uppercase?  Or is there some way to
> > call the other UPPER function?  Or something within plpgsql I don't know
> > about.
> > Thanks!
> > -philip
>
> I don't understand this. UPPER() is a built-in function:
>
> stocks=# create table test (field varchar(16));
> CREATE
> stocks=# insert into test values ('hello');
> INSERT 1788137 1
> stocks=# select upper(field) from test;
>  upper
> -------
>  HELLO
> (1 row)
>
> The oid for upper is 871. Do you not have this in your pg_proc?
<snip>

I think his original question was if one could create an index based
on the upper() of a table attribute. He stated he tried it and
couldn't and it trying some alternatives.

--
Prasanth Kumar
kumar1@home.com