Re: User permissions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: User permissions
Date
List pgsql-general
"Lars Preben S. Arnesen" <l.p.arnesen@usit.uio.no> writes:

> like it could be somewhat easier with the Oracle solution (at least
> what I have heard from Oracle-users) that enables you to restrict a
> database user only to execute predefined functions.

Right--the developers are currently working on SQL99-style schema
support, and I *think* function permissions will come along with
that in 7.3.  For now, though the view/rule method will work, or as
another poster suggested you can write a C function that runs as
another user (I imagine it has to change an internal "current user"
variable  before accessing tables, but I don't know the exact
mechanism).

-Doug
--
Doug McNaught       Wireboard Industries      http://www.wireboard.com/

      Custom software development, systems and network consulting.
      Java PostgreSQL Enhydra Python Zope Perl Apache Linux BSD...