Re: Interfaces that support cursors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Interfaces that support cursors
Date
List pgsql-general
Network Administrator <netadmin@vcsn.com> writes:

> Ok, I did see the autocommit flag setting in DBD:Pg when I starting
> reading up on the DBI/DBD interfacing methods so I guess I could
> recode for that.  However, how do you "maintain" the current
> transaction open if your script is writing pages to the web.  Even
> in mod_perl I think that there is a commit after the script ends,
> no?

Oh, right--I didn't get that bit of your problem.

I think the conventional wisdom on this is that keeping transactions
open across web page deliveries is a Bad Idea.  If you're just doing
the standard "show N records per page" thing, you can use LIMIT and
OFFSET on your SELECT call.  This is going to be slower thn using a
transaction (because you're re-executing the query for every page) but
is fairly simple.

If you really want to have a DB transaction that covers multiple page
views, you need some kind of persistent application server rather than
CGI scripts, so you can keep open connections and application state
around.

-Doug