Re: [GENERAL] How can I obtain tables' structure? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From sdupille@i-france.com (Stéphane Dupille)
Subject Re: [GENERAL] How can I obtain tables' structure?
Date
List pgsql-general
Paul Mookhachov <paul@pmfd.ru> writes:

> Hi!

    Hi !

> How can I obtain information about tables' structure and list of tables
> using psql.lib or Pg.pm (perl package)?

    I think you got no wayt to do it directly, but with here's a
trick :
    all you have to do is to make a request likt this :
'select * from <table>' ($req = $cbase->exec ('select * from table'))
    now with '$req->nfields' you get the number of fields in the
table.
    with '$fname = $req->fname($num_field)' you get the name of
the field. and with '$ftype = $req->ftype($num_field)' you get the
type of the field.

    You can get many other information on the table with some
other commands... Just take a look at the perldoc page of Pg (to get
it : 'perldoc Pg').

> Thanx.

    You're welcome !
--
  ___
{~._.~}                    Stephane - DUST - Dupille