Re: [GENERAL] Text Databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dustin sallings
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Text Databases
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Nicholas Humfrey wrote:

// How fast is PostgreSQL at searching for text. Should I, as Dustin
// Sallings wrote look for a different relational database system ? I
// like PostgreSQL's features especially free source code, so I can run
// it on different platforms (Sparc,PPC,i486 etc.) Is there a more
// suitable free system available ?

    Well, Postgres is just about as good as it gets, but if you're
trying to do arbitrary text searches, grep on text files will always be
faster. The search system mentioned above is good if you're doing exact
matches out of your index, but it still doesn't make sense if you're
trying to match over multiple columns, etc...  Relational databases make
the most sense when you can look up an exact match in a column.

--
SA, beyond.com                            The world is watching America,
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>