Re: Is that pgsql support the database partitioning? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Is that pgsql support the database partitioning?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Corn" <corn@tryit.com> writes:

> Hi all expert,
>
>     I am a newbie on pgsql. It is so many thing that I don't know.
>
>     Is that pgsql supports the database partitioning just like oracle do?

Not really--there are some workarounds, and there may be tablespace
support (or something like it) in future versions.

> For the current project, I need to store data into the same database. Can I
> split the data into different storage device by using database partitioning?

It's possible, by moving files around and putting in symlinks, but you
really need to know what you're doing.

The standard and straightforward recommendation right now, if you need
more than 1 physical device for space or speed reasons, is to use RAID
or LVM for your database filesystem.

-Doug
--
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
http://www.freesklyarov.org/

We will return to our regularly scheduled signature shortly.