Re: Any Good Way To Do Sync DB's? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Any Good Way To Do Sync DB's?
Date
Re: Any Good Way To Do Sync DB's?  ("Gurunandan R. Bhat" <grbhat@exocore.com>)
List pgsql-general
Joseph Koenig <joe@jwebmedia.com> writes:

> I have a project where a client has products stored in a large Progress
> DB on an NT server. The web server is a FreeBSD box though, and the
> client wants to try to avoid the $5,500 license for the Unlimited
> Connections via OpenLink software and would like to take advantage of
> the 'free' non-expiring 2 connection (concurrent) license. This wouldn't
> be a huge problem, but the DB can easily reach 1 million records. Is
> there any good way to pull this data out of Progess and get it into
> Postgres? This is way too large of a db to do a "SELECT * FROM table"
> and do an insert for each row. Any brilliant ideas? Thanks,

Probably the best thing to do is to export the data from Progress in a
format that the PostgreSQL COPY command can read.  See the docs for
details.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863