Re: JDBC question: Which class is returned? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From o2@trustcommerce.com
Subject Re: JDBC question: Which class is returned?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 08:30:02PM -0000, Dr. Evil wrote:

> I am doing some queries using JDBC.  I use the ResultSet.getObject()
> method to get the result object.  This works fine with SQL VARCHAR,
> etc, but there is a big problem when I try it with an INT4.
>
> For example:
>
> Object obj = result.getObject(i);
>
> It gets the object just fine but then I can't do anything with the
> object.  I can't do this:
>
> System.out.println("The result is: " + (String) obj);
>
> or anything else.  I am guessing that the problem may be that it is
> trying to return an integer type, which is not an object.  Any
> sugestions on this?
>
> One thing I think I could do is to try to detect the type using
> MetaData.getResultType() or something, and then call
> ResultSet.getInt() or whatever is appropriate.  Is this the best way
> to do it?
>
> Thanks

The reason you can't cast it to a string is because it will be class Integer if the col type is int.

Integer val = (Integer)result.getObject(i);

This is how to do what you want to do.

Object obj = result.getObject(i);
System.out.println("The result is: " + obj.toString());

If the .getObject() is messing you up there are a wide number of other functions to use like getString() that will
convertthe return type for you.

    Orion