Re: Procedure for feature requests? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Landscheidt
Subject Re: Procedure for feature requests?
Date
List pgsql-general
Sam Mason <sam@samason.me.uk> wrote:

>> > If you can figure out the limit then it seems easy,
>> > though I'm not sure how you'd do that.

>> What limit?

> Sorry, I was calling the second parameter to generate_series the "limit".

> Calculating "(C - B) / C" isn't easy for timestamps, whereas it's easy
> for dates.  I believe this is why there's a specific version for the
> former but not the latter.

(I obviously meant "(B - A) / C" :-).) Is it? I would assume
that you just have to convert A, B and C to seconds (since
epoch) and then use a normal integer division.

> [...]
>> "generate_series(DATE, DATE)" would just be syntactic sugar,
>> and I like sweets.

> We all do, but in software it's got to be balanced against the overhead
> of maintaining support for these functions.

My knowledge of PostgreSQL's codebase is nonexistent, so I
do not know how unstable it is.

Tim