Re: have you seen this? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: have you seen this?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
After a long battle with technology, dan@langille.org ("Dan Langille"), an earthling, wrote:
> I have no problem directing people to the right tool for the job.
> Sometimes that tool is PostgreSQL.  Sometimes it is not.  PostgreSQL
> cannot please everyone all the time.

It may well be a mistake to try to please all the people all the
time.  I think that was exactly what Tom Christiansen had in mind when
he wrote:

  "Huh?  Windows was designed to keep the idiots away from Unix so we
  could hack in peace.  Let's not break that." -- Tom Christiansen

Microsoft tries to market Windows as being "all things for all
people;" much of its badness comes from that.

  "If Ada became the hot, in-language you would see a lot more bad
  code in Ada."  -- Thaddeus L.  Olczyk <olczyk@interaccess.com>,
  comp.lang.C++

If PostgreSQL became as popular as MS-Access, we'd find people doing
hideous things with it.  (Or, to be more precise, doing _even more
hideous_ things ;-).)
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/emacs.html "Is your pencil Y2K