Re: have you seen this? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dan Langille
Subject Re: have you seen this?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 27 May 2004 at 15:28, Neil Conway wrote:

> Alexey Borzov wrote:
> > I'd like to suggest doing the same things in technical perspective: why
> > implementing the functionality on client side is *bad*, length of
> > MySQL's release cycles, creating some "switching" stories, this kind of
> > stuff.
>
> I am opposed to "advocating PostgreSQL" in this manner (regardless
> of how effective it may or may not be). Promoting PostgreSQL ought
> to be centered on explaining why PostgreSQL is a good DBMS, not
> trash-talking the competition.

Neil is not alone in this position.  If we can't stand on our merits,
we should pack up and go home.

> We should have faith that our users
> are capable of evaluating their database options and choosing the
> one that suites their needs best (which may or may not be
> PostgreSQL; I think Josh's point that SQLLite / MySQL are adequate
> for many people is a good one).

I have no problem directing people to the right tool for the job.
Sometimes that tool is PostgreSQL.  Sometimes it is not.  PostgreSQL
cannot please everyone all the time.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - http://www.bsdcan.org/