Re: duplicating tables (accross databases) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: duplicating tables (accross databases)
Date
List pgsql-general
Jim Martinez <jjm@bigbigorg.org> writes:

> > I know this will seem silly, but I'm trying to
> > make a copy of a table with a few modifications.
>
> A variation on the above:
>
> Suppose I create and populate a table called people in the test database
> and I want to move it to another database called production.  How can a
> query across the schema?  And schema may not be the correct word.

Schema is in fact the correct word (it's in the SQL standard).

Schemas are currently not implemented in PostgreSQL.  They are on the
TODO list for a future version.

You'll have to use two different databases and use pg_dump/psql to
move the data, or write custom client code to do so.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863