Re: URGENT: pg_dump & Postgres 7.2b4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: URGENT: pg_dump & Postgres 7.2b4
Date
List pgsql-general
"Jelan" <jelan@magelo.com> writes:
> Dont panic, it was just a stupid try and i had saved the file and then
> restored it ;)

Oh good.  In that case see my followup to pghackers.  I think your
problem is isolated to the sequence object(s), and can be summarized
as: nextval() will work, pg_dump'ing a sequence will not.  So, to get
out of trouble, try this: for each sequence, do nextval() to note the
current value, drop the sequence, recreate it, do setval() to restore
the count.  Then you'll be in a state where you can pg_dump.  Then try
not to go a million transactions between sequence creations and pg_dumps
while you're using 7.2b4 :-(.

There will be a fix in the next beta version.

Oh, and many thanks for finding this!  Would've been embarrassing to
have this glitch escape beta testing...

            regards, tom lane