Re: permissions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: permissions
Date
List pgsql-general
tony <tony@animaproductions.com> writes:

> On Sat, 2002-02-23 at 15:06, Doug McNaught wrote:
>
> > So you're saying that part of your web app works fine and talks to the
> > database, and part of it doesn't?  What are the differences between
> > the parts?
>
> The administration pages are protected by a login page. Each page has a
> Macromedia "restrict user" script which checks to se if the user is
> logged in.

Hmm, I don't know anything about that (I stay away from proprietary
frameworks), but it sounds like it could be the problem.

> > The error you're getting indicates that the DB connection URL used by
> > that part of the web app is wrong.  I doubt it's a file permissions
> > error at all.
>
> The connection details are in Connection/name.jsp and this is included
> in the page on the fly. e.g.
>
> <%@ include file="Connections/frac.jsp" %>
> <%
> Driver Driverdocumentation =
> (Driver)Class.forName(MM_frac_DRIVER).newInstance();
> Connection Conndocumentation =
> DriverManager.getConnection(MM_frac_STRING,MM_frac_USERNAME,MM_frac_PASSWORD);

Hmm, what are the contents of 'frac.jsp'?

> I can see your point about the connection URL but it is only in one
> place for the whole app. Not being able to connect at all seems logical
> in this case...
>
> It seems that the login part is not working i.e. the request to the
> password table is failing. tony, postgres and tomcat4 are all database
> users, tony owns the database.

If it was a problem with table permissions, you wouldn't be getting
"connection refused", you'd be getting "permission denied".

"Connection refused" has a very specific meaning--you are trying to
connect to a port that no server is listening on.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863