Re: ByteA for binary data? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: ByteA for binary data?
Date
List pgsql-general
Robert Myers <ccrider@whiterose.net> writes:

> My biggest issue with the LO's is that I can't seem to find anything on
> how to list _all_ of my LO's.

SELECT DISTINCT loid FROM pg_largeobject;

> If I lose the OID, I've got a LO out there with no pointer to it.

There's a utility in contrib/ called vacuum_lo that can help with
that.  You can also put a trigger on your referring table to make sure
LOs get deleted (that's what I do).

> Am I missing something on that?

As I said, the API is a little convoluted, but it's not hard to use
and works well.

> On the 8K limit, I'm not even seeing 8K, I'm seeing about 15 or 16 chars,
> not really enough.  I'm using the latest PHP, 4.1.1, which didn't work, so
> I figured I'd hit 4.2.0 in the CVS tree, no joy there either.

I'm guessing you're not quoting the bytea strings properly, but I've
not used PHP or bytea myself so I can't really help.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863