Re: Segmentation fault using digest from pg_crypto - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Manuel Sugawara
Subject Re: Segmentation fault using digest from pg_crypto
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Manuel Sugawara <masm@fciencias.unam.mx> writes:
>> "Marko Kreen" <markokr@gmail.com> writes:
>>> In 8.0 the pgcrypto functions were non-strict and checked for NULLs.
>>> In 8.1 they were made STRICT.
>>> In 8.2 the NULL check were removed from code.
>
>> Not an smart move IMHO, I didn't create the function, it was created
>> as part of my upgrade process. May I suggest to put back the check?.
>
> That's the standard way of doing things in C functions (ie, rely on
> STRICT markings) and I see nothing wrong with it.
>
> If you were using an upgrade process that failed to incorporate
> version-to-version changes in the definitions of contrib functions,
> this is hardly going to be the only problem you encounter.

I was under the impression that the standar procedure for upgrading
was to read the release notes searching for this kind of gotchas. I've
reviewed (again) the release notes for 8.1 and 8.2 and didn't find
anything related but maybe I'm not searching hard enough.

If something is not going a work (or is going a work in a different
way) in some version after loading a shot form a previous one I think
it should be documented or some kind of backwards compatibility
mechanism should be provided.

Regards,
Manuel.