Re: VACUUM, 24/7 availability and 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: VACUUM, 24/7 availability and 7.2
Date
List pgsql-general
Erwin Lansing <erwin@lansing.dk> writes:

> We are having some trouble with some tables in which we have lots of
> update's (and insert/delete's). "A lot" being several thousands per day
> (I haven't measured the exact numbers recently). VACUUM is running twice
> a day and locks these tables a long time where 10-15 minutes is not
> exceptional. This table has only approx 100k records, but these are
> updated very often and that seems to cause to much rubbish for vacuum

You might try running VACUUM much more often, as it'll run faster with
less work to do.  If running it every hour takes the locked time down
to 30 seconds, you might find that acceptable (depending on the
application of course).

Worth a try until 7.2 is solid...

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863