Re: Platform comparison ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Platform comparison ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Dale Anderson" <danderso@crystalsugar.com> writes:

> Hello Group,

[snip: why would PG be "better" than MSSQL?]

"Better" isn't meaningful except in the context of the problem you're
trying to solve.  There will be some problems where PG is right, some
where MSSQL works better, and some where neither is the "best" choice.

Reasons you might prefer PG:

* No licensing costs, period
* Runs on free operating systems
* Runs on Unix, if you prefer that as a server environment
* Object-relational technology
* Extensibility (not only functions, but datatypes, index types, etc)
* Open Source (no vendor lockin)

Reasons you might prefer MSSQL:

* Need for MS extensions
* Easier setup (perhaps) for non-DBA/sysadmin types
* Management's desire for "single-source"
* Performance advantages for some workloads
* Windows server environment (PG runs on Windows, but only through a Unix emulation layer--I personally wouldn't run it
inproduction, but then again I wouldn't run Windows in production:)

Both offer commercial support, ACID compliance, stored
procedures/functions, and the other stuff that people expect from a
"real" database.

Hope this helps...

-Doug
--
Doug McNaught       Wireboard Industries      http://www.wireboard.com/
     Custom software development, systems and network consulting.     Java PostgreSQL Enhydra Python Zope Perl Apache