Re: Status of FDW pushdowns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Status of FDW pushdowns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> By 'insignificant' you mean 'necessary to do any non-trivial real
> work'.   Personally, I'd prefer it if FDW was extended to allow
> arbitrary parameterized queries like every other database connectivity
> API ever made ever.  But in lieu of that, I'll take as much push down
> power as possible :-D.

That sounds more like FOREIGN VIEW and FOREIGN FUNCTION to me, where you
could have the whole control of the local/remote boundaries.

I mean that when planning a query using a FOREIGN VIEW it would probably
make sense to consider it as a CTE as far as the optimizer is concerned.

About FOREIGN FUNCTION, that would allow to inject arbitrary parameters
anywhere in the remote query when doing SQL functions. We have a very
nice version of FOREIGN FUNCTION already, that's plproxy.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine