Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu>)
Responses Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> writes:
> Greg Smith's argument was about recovery.conf which is a file that
> users are expected to edit. A file which user's are not expected to
> edit and is maintained by the software is no more a configuration file
> than pg_auth or pg_database which are actually being stored in the
> database itself.

+1

> I think we're fine with allowing users to use both but we should try
> to keep the two as separate as possible to avoid confusion. Keeping
> the auto.conf inside conf.d sounds like it will actually confuse users
> about which files they're supposed to edit and which belong to the
> system.

+1

I think we need both an ALTER SYSTEM SET implementation using files
somewhere in $PGDATA, and a separate conf.d facility that lives
alongside wherever the main postgresql.conf is maintained on your OS of
choice.

Also, now that we have decided to separate away those two fundamentally
different aspects of the configuration setup, I join Álvaro and Cédric
in thinking that we should review the implementation choice of the ALTER
SYSTEM SET facility, and vote for having one-file-per-GUC.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine