Re: make --enable-depend the default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: make --enable-depend the default
Date
Re: make --enable-depend the default  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> People, including me, every now and then forget to pass --enable-depend
> to configure (when not using my own environment). Which then leads to
> strange errors that cost time to track down...

> Thus I'd like to enable dependency tracking by default. Given todays
> computing powers there doesn't seem to be much reason not to do so.

> Any arguments against?

Yes: it's a waste of resources for one-shot builds, which is what most
people not reading this list do (and by asking here, you're biasing
your poll).

Personally I always do "make clean", if not "make distclean", after a git
pull.  If you're using ccache it's incredibly cheap to just rebuild the
whole tree every time, and I trust the results a lot more than I do
--enable-depend.

[postgres@sss1 pgsql]$ time make -s clean

real    0m1.613s
user    0m0.994s
sys     0m0.254s
[postgres@sss1 pgsql]$ time make -s -j8
In file included from gram.y:13635:
scan.c: In function 'yy_try_NUL_trans':
scan.c:10167: warning: unused variable 'yyg'
All of PostgreSQL successfully made. Ready to install.

real    0m2.483s
user    0m6.693s
sys     0m2.123s

(make installcheck-parallel takes 13.6 seconds on this machine...)