Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gunnar Rønning
Subject Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

| > the Linux kernel (their 'enterprise' kernel patches, for instance) -- why
| > would PostgreSQL be any different?
|
| That would concern me if it ever happened.  GB hasn't done it and I hope
| RH doesn't either.

I think this is a good thing - it just illustrates that open source works.
For instance, there are threading patches for the linux kernel that
significantly increase the performance of multithreaded Java applications - but
last time I checked Linus hadn't bother to put them into his release of the
kernel. That doesn't prevent me from using them and that makes me all the
happier...

But I think something like this only would happen when one cannot reach
consensus on design or requirements.

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/