Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Knight
Subject Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On 28 Jun 2001, Gunnar Rønning wrote:

> * Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
>
> | > the Linux kernel (their 'enterprise' kernel patches, for instance) -- why
> | > would PostgreSQL be any different?
> |
> | That would concern me if it ever happened.  GB hasn't done it and I hope
> | RH doesn't either.
> |

> I think this is a good thing - it just illustrates that open source works.
> For instance, there are threading patches for the linux kernel that
> significantly increase the performance of multithreaded Java applications - but
> last time I checked Linus hadn't bother to put them into his release of the
> kernel. That doesn't prevent me from using them and that makes me all the
> happier...
>
> But I think something like this only would happen when one cannot reach
> consensus on design or requirements.

I agree. I highly embrace the fact that RedHat may find PostgreSQL
attractive enough to put their energies, development teams, and general
financing. It has been proven to aid both, the development company and the
open source project, when a company decides to embrace an open-source
project.

Knight