Re: in-catalog Extension Scripts and Control parameters (templates?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: in-catalog Extension Scripts and Control parameters (templates?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> There hasn't been visible movement on this work since the 22'nd when you
> posted v3 and it was flagged for further review. Nobody's stepped up,
> can we get any interest in this?

I hope we can, it's a pretty important development as far as I'm
concerned, a building block for other improvements that won't need
further assistance from core code.

> What's your opinion on the state of this patch? Are you satisfied with
> the proposed patch as it stands? Any particular areas you think need
> attention in review or during final committer examination? Any security
> concerns?

I think the patch is ready for a commiter. What I think the commiter
will want to change is here:
 - hstore changes
   The patch reverts the hstore--1.1.sql changes to show that with the   default_major_version included before, we
couldhave chosen to ship   with hstore--1.0.sql and hstore--1.0--1.1.sql and install 1.1 by   default in more recent
releases
 - docs
   We might need to add some more high-level docs about the feature,   like a worked out example in the main Extension
section(35.15), but   I felt time pressed and that's typically something that can be done   while in beta
 - catalog names
   This patch needs 3 new catalogs, named pg_extension_control,   pg_extension_template and pg_extension_uptmpl for the
Templatesyou   use to Update an extension (not the same natural PK as the ones you   use to insert).
   The decision to use 3 catalogs has been validated earlier by Tom.   The focus point is on the naming: uptmpl is
meantto be as short as   possible while still being easy to understand. Is that the case?
 - psql support
   When compared to current EXTENSION facilities, psql support here   would mean the ability to see an extension's
scriptsand control   file from psql directly, and we didn't feel like we should add that   after tall. So there's no
psqlsupport in that patch, other than   including the TEMPLATEs in pg_available_extensions().
 - pg_available_extension_versions() support
   Oooops, I didn't add that yet. Follow-up patch needed. Do we want a   new full patch or just a patch on-top of that
forlater applying?   This patch certainly is big enough as it is…
 - Assert() HeapTuple's catalog
   In the function extract_ctlversion() I would like to be able to   Assert() that the given tuple is from the right
catalogand didn't   see how to do that

Other than that, the patch implements 3 new catalogs and associated
commands, and route those commands in a way that the new grammar
additions are not tied to EXTENSION TEMPLATEs but rather generic as far
as TEMPLATEs are concerned.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine                                        06 63 07 10 78