Re: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From 100.179370@germanynet.de (Martin Jacobs)
Subject Re:
Date
List pgsql-general
Dao Hai Ninh schrieb:
>  I'am a student from Vietnam .Now I'am studying about
>  LiNUX and
>  use PostgreSQL of  LINUX to connect to WINDOWS
>  databases
>  but I don't know how to release .Please help me if
>  You have some experiences about that
>  .Thanks very much!

To make things clear:

PostgreSQL is a relational database management system. That means
it's the database engine itself bundled with some administrative
tools and more.

Among this more is a odbc interface to Postgres. With this it's
possible to access Postgres Databases via ODBC from other
processes or remote machines, no matter which flavour their OS
is.

As far as I understand your question, you want to connect from a
Linux machine to a database hosted on a Windows machine. That means
your database client runs on Linux and your database server on
Windows. That's possible too, but you need other tools. First
your Linux client has to be able to do remote database access via
odbc. One odbc-manager running under Linux is iodbc. Next your
database server on Windows must offer an odbc interface. Then
it's possible to access a Windows database from Linux.

Did you know, it's possible to compile and run PostgreSQL under
Windows. Maybe this could be a solution for you.

Regards

--
Dipl-Ing. Martin Jacobs * Windsbach * Germany
Registered Linux User #87175, http://counter.li.org/