Re: [HACKERS] Parallel regress tests (was Re: FOREIGN KEY andshift/reduce) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Parallel regress tests (was Re: FOREIGN KEY andshift/reduce)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@alumni.caltech.edu> writes:
> >> Kind of like a simple semaphore. Isn't that what you are getting at?
>
> > LISTEN/NOTIFY might be useful for this...
>
> LISTEN/NOTIFY would be one of the things we were trying to *test*.
> It's not helpful for checking intra-transaction-block behavior anyway,
> since notifys are only sent at commit and only heard between
> transactions.
>
> I like the tcl/expect idea a lot.  We'd have to upgrade our tcl
> interface to support asynchronous queries (ie, send query then do other
> stuff until answer arrives); AFAIR it can't handle that now.  But that'd
> be well worth doing anyway...

    That  would  be  really  nice,  especially  because Tcl is my
    preferred tool language. But I wouldn't use libpgtcl, instead
    it  should  control  a  number  of psql sessions over command
    pipelines. These  can  already  handle  asynchronous  actions
    across all supported platforms.

    I'll  build the first version of the tool using standard Tcl,
    and just keep in mind  that  the  command  language  must  be
    easily  implementable with lex/yacc so someone can convert it
    later into a C version.

Jan