Re: [HACKERS] psql & regress tests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] psql & regress tests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Admittedly, running a bunch of tests serially isn't a strong stress test
> of cross-backend behavior, but it's not as content-free a check as you
> might think.  On my machine, at least, the old backend is still around
> doing shutdown for the first half-second or so while the next one is
> running.
>
> What I'd really like to see is some deliberate parallelism in some of
> the regress tests...

    It's  amusing how often we two have the same wishes or ideas.

    The run_check.sh script, I'm actually hacking on, would be  a
    replacement  for  the  regress.sh, started off from the 'make
    check'. And  from  the  first  try  I  added  syntax  to  the
    sql/tests  file  to  run  either  groups  of  tests  parallel
    intermixed with single tests sequentially.

    The new syntax will look like this:

        parallel    group1
            test    boolean
            test    char
            test    name
        endparallel

        test    varchar
        test    text
        test    strings

        parallel    group2
            test    int2
            test    int4
            test    int8
        endparallel

         .
         .
         .

    The above will run boolean, char and name parallel. After all
    three  terminated, it will check their output and continue to
    run varchar, text and strings sequentially, followed  by  the
    next parallel group.

    To  test  real  concurrency we might need to split up some or
    create  new  tests,  where  the  same  tables  are   accessed
    concurrently. But that wouldn't be hard to do I think.

Jan