Re: [HACKERS] psql & regress tests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] psql & regress tests
Date
Re: [HACKERS] psql & regress tests  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 05:41:36PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > * Since no one has picked up on my idea to run the tests directly on the
> > > backend, I will keep reiterating this idea until someone shuts me up
> > > :*) The idea would be to have a target "check" in the top level makefile
> > > like this (conceptually):
> >
> > Running the backend standalone does not use locking with other backends,
> > so it is dangerous.
>
> Bruce, how dos this apply to Peter's suggestion?  We're talking about
> _regression_ tests. Things to do after changing the code. Do you often
> recompile, and run regression tests against a db with a (now out of date)
> postmaster running against it? Do other developers?  I'd have thought a
> complete shutdown/restart is part of the cycle anyway.  has to be if an
> initdb is in there of course.  Checking to make sure a postmaster isn't
> running could be added to Peter's script, just to be sure.

    I'm  actually  doing  some tests if the 'make check' would be
    possible.  I.e. doing a  complete  install  with  POSTGRESDIR
    below  the  regress  dir,  running initdb with the libdir and
    datadir pointing into there too, then starting new postmaster
    on a different port in background etc., etc., etc..

    That  would  make  it possible to do a complete check without
    doing a regular install at all.

    Will give some results soon.

Jan