Re: [HACKERS] compression in LO and other fields - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] compression in LO and other fields
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:
>
> >     I  don't know if there's a compression library available that
> >     fit's our need. First and  most  important  it  must  have  a
> >     license  that  permits  us  to include it in the distribution
> >     under our existing license. Second it's  implementation  must
> >     not  cause any problems in the backend like memory leakage or
> >     the like.
>
> Is this something that could be a configure option?  Put the stubs in
> place, and if someone wants to enable that feature, they can install the
> compression library first and run with it?

    If  using  the  new type in system catalogs, the option could
    only be what kind of compression to use. And we need our  own
    default compression code shipped anyway.

    Of  course, it could depend on the config what types are used
    in the syscat. But making the catalog headers things that are
    shipped as a .in isn't really that good IMHO.

Jan