Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshots - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshots
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >     BTW:  There are alot of files on the main site where cvs stat
> >     doesn't tell up-to-date. Some are locally  modified  but  not
> >     committed, some need a merge.
>
> You mean files on the site that are not in cvs, or are newer than the
> cvs copies.  Either Vince or I did that, I suppose.  How did you find
> which ones they were?  Vince, any ideas?

    [wieck@hub] ~pgsql/ftp/www/html > cvs stat |& less

    The  locally  modified  ones don't seem to be a problem to me
    since they are what's  visible  outside  and  simply  need  a
    commit.

    But  the  ones  telling  Needs Merge are!  This status means,
    that the working file is a locally modified copy of an  older
    revision  in  the  CVS.  A cvs update would try to merge both
    modifications into the new working file and this is  required
    before a commit! Let's take devel-contrib.html as an example:

    [wieck@hub] ~pgsql/ftp/www/html > cvs stat devel-contrib.html
    File: devel-contrib.html        Status: Needs Merge

       Working revision:    1.29    Mon Mar 29 16:43:09 1999
       Repository revision: 1.44    /usr/local/cvsroot/www/html/devel-contrib.html,v
       Sticky Tag:          (none)
       Sticky Date:         (none)
       Sticky Options:      (none)

    The last cvs  update  brought  the  working  copy  (that  one
    actually  on  the  web site) into sync with 1.29. Since then,
    there have been 15 commits  from  other  working  directories
    plus  local modifications to the file. Looking at the diff it
    seems that the authors (momjian and vev :-) have  a  checkout
    of  the repository on their home system, commit modifications
    there and instead of checking them out on the main site  they
    just  copy  their  working files onto the site, ignoring that
    the main site  is  another  working  directory  of  the  same
    repository. That's just what I guess from what I see.

    Just  to  be complete (don't know if there are any) the state
    Needs Patch means, that the working file is an unmodified one
    needing a cvs update because there where modifications to the
    CVS from somewhere else.

    To fix this situation I think we should first commit the ones
    that are modified locally via

        cvs commit <file>

    and do a

        cvs update <file>

    for any one that needs a patch.

    Finally  we  have  all  those left that need a merge. I'm not
    sure, but can we say that what's  actually  on  the  site  is
    correct?  If so, we could take the files one by one, move the
    actual file out of the way and do a

        cvs update <file>

    This will checkout the file  in  the  state,  the  repository
    thinks  is correct.  Then we move back what we know is actual
    and do a commit. After this move-update-moveback  cvs  thinks
    it's  a locally modified one and the new cvs revision is then
    what anybody can see on the web.

Jan