Re: Scripts (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] Next release is 7.0(?)) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: Scripts (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: [INTERFACES] Next release is 7.0(?))
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > createlang    --> (In my excessively undereducated opinion, this should
> > >                      be removed. createdb and createuser I can see but
> > >                      this?)
> >
> > Yes, remove.  What is that doing there.  Jan's plpgsql doesn't use it.  :-)
>
> Used by regression test script.  No reason the script can't inline the
> createlang script's code, though.

    That  script  was  the result of some longer discussion about
    "installing  PL/pgSQL  by  default  (initdb)  or  not"  which
    resulted from some problems with the location of the language
    handler object.

    Some people like  to  have  one  or  the  other  language  in
    template1,  so it will automatically be there after createdb.
    Others like to install individual PL's per database.

    What I see from your comments above is, that  you  don't  use
    procedural languages at all. But that's not a good reason for
    making  it  harder  for  others  to  gain  access  to   these
    languages.

Jan