Re: [HACKERS] Scripts again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Scripts again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:

> > > Perhaps we should really change the installation instructions to not make
> > > mention of the scripts, though, to enforce proper learning. But you were
> > > working on that anyway, right?
> >
> > sigh. We should get rid of all of the other language interfaces too;
> > any real programmer can do it with psql and bash. Hmm, maybe even psql
> > is a luxury ;)
>
>     Real  programmers  don't  use a database at all. If they can,
>     they even avoid using a filesystem or any other  help  of  an
>     OS,  because  they  love  to know exactly where their data is
>     left.

You use an OS?

Okay, people, let's cut the crap. It wasn't my idea. Someone asked about
it and Bruce said something to the effect that this was something that you
wanted to do anyway. So I asked around for a vote and got a result. I
couldn't guess that this could cause so much heartbreak with some people.
Let's forget about it and let people use whatever tool (with whatever
name) they damn well want.
-Peter