Re: [SQL] RV: A little problem updating data with views - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [SQL] RV: A little problem updating data with views
Date
List pgsql-sql

> I don't believe views are updatable in postgresql.

    They are - if someone read the chapter on rules.

    CREATE RULE vtest_upd AS ON UPDATE TO VTEST DO INSTEAD
        UPDATE ttest SET t = new.t WHERE t = old.t;

    It is just that those rules cannot simply be generated on the
    fly while CREATE VIEW. In this simple case of course, but  if
    the  view is a join of 3 tables, it's not clear how to update
    them (if at all).  So it's up to the DB  designer  to  create
    them by hand.

Jan