Re: PostgreSQL Service on Windows does not start. ~ "is not a valid Win32 application" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christian Ullrich
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Service on Windows does not start. ~ "is not a valid Win32 application"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane wrote:

> I looked at this patch a bit.  I agree that we need to fix
> pgwin32_CommandLine to double-quote the executable name, but it needs a
> great deal more work than that :-(.  Whoever wrote this code was

One additional issue is that the path to the service executable should
use backslashes exclusively. Currently, the last directory separator in
the service command line (the one before "pg_ctl.exe") is a forward
slash. I recently had trouble with Symantec Backup Exec (not sure which
versions are affected); it fails to do system state backups when a
service registered using pg_ctl is present on the system.

See <http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH144413> for the same issue
involving a different service.

The EDB installer does not cause that problem, although I don't know if
that is because it does not use pg_ctl to register the service or
because it fixes the path afterwards.

--
Christian