Re: qsort (was Re: Solaris) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dalgoda@ix.netcom.com (Mike Castle)
Subject Re: qsort (was Re: Solaris)
Date
Re: qsort (was Re: Solaris)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
In article <4896.1051644271@sss.pgh.pa.us>,
Tom Lane  <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>dalgoda@ix.netcom.com (Mike Castle) writes:
>> Better yet:  Anyway of running performance tests from configure?
>
>Peter will object to that because of cross-compilation issues; and I'll
>object because I run configure often enough that I don't want it to take
>the time that would be needed for a reliable performance test ...

Understandable.

What about --with-pg-qsort (that defaults to use for currently known
systems) with a test program people could run if they want?

In that case, would counting the calls to the compare function be the
appropriate measurement (I'd think either wall or system time would vary
too widely).

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/