Re: qsort (was Re: Solaris) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: qsort (was Re: Solaris)
Date
List pgsql-general
Mike Castle wrote:
> In article <4896.1051644271@sss.pgh.pa.us>,
> Tom Lane  <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >dalgoda@ix.netcom.com (Mike Castle) writes:
> >> Better yet:  Anyway of running performance tests from configure?
> >
> >Peter will object to that because of cross-compilation issues; and I'll
> >object because I run configure often enough that I don't want it to take
> >the time that would be needed for a reliable performance test ...
>

> Understandable.
>
> What about --with-pg-qsort (that defaults to use for currently known
> systems) with a test program people could run if they want?

Let's have folks run a test program and get the results for some OS's.
I would prefer to get some results before moving to a formalized option.

> In that case, would counting the calls to the compare function be the
> appropriate measurement (I'd think either wall or system time would vary
> too widely).

No.  It is not calls the compare function, but total time in the qsort
routine that has to be measured.